We at Blackberry Hearing (collectively, “we” and “us”) know you care about how your personal data is used and shared, and we take your privacy seriously.
Please read the following to learn more about how we collect, store, use and disclose your personal data*.
*Personal data is data relating to a living individual who can be identified, or is identifiable, using this data or if this data is used in conjunction with other data that is in Blackberry Hearing’s possession, or could come into its possession.
Who is the Data Controller
Every company should appoint a Data Controller. A Data Controller is the person in the company responsible for safeguarding your personal information and whose responsibility it is to decide to inform you and/or the DPC in the event of an external data breach, such as a computer theft. In Blackberry Hearing the Data Controller is Dave Gleeson and he may be contacted on the main telephone number.
Personal data you provide to us
Blackberry Hearing will only keep and use the personal data which has been specifically provided by you. We do not use any third party to gather personal data unless it has been specifically provided by you for the purpose of us, Blackberry Hearing, providing you with a consultation or potentially providing you with a hearing solution. Your personal data will not be shared with any other company and will not be transmitted outside the EU. You may choose to contact us or inform us by phone, email, in person, in the clinic, on Facebook or other social media platforms or by interacting with us on our website. In all cases, we will request and use only that personal data that enables us to provide you with a consultation or a hearing solution.
For example, we will use the following personal data for the following reasons:
• Name and number: Contact as agreed by you and after purchase to enable us to provide a follow-up service.
• Address: To provide you with any additional accessories, replacements, batteries, and so on and consultations or follow up visits at home if agreed.
• PPS Number and Date of Birth: We have a portal to the Department of Social Protection which enables us to check your grant eligibility. In the event, you are eligible this enables us to discount you the amount of the grant at the time of purchase. It also allows us to inform you of the net price so that you can make a fully informed decision.
• Credit Card details: To enable a purchase in the clinic or over the phone of hearing aids, replacement parts or accessories. The data will only be kept as long as it is necessary to process the agreed payment.
• Health and general personal information: This may be collected on the phone or in the clinic with the purpose of ensuring you get the optimum solution to suit your lifestyle and to ensure your wellbeing, as much as is possible.
When you engage with Blackberry Hearing we will receive and store personal data that you provide directly to us. In some cases, you may be ‘opting in’ for an ‘offer’ or ‘promotion’ on our website or a social media platform. You will be made explicitly aware that your data is being collected for our use and the processing of your interest in our products and service.
The types of personal data we may collect directly from you include names, email addresses, postal addresses, phone numbers, social insurance numbers as well as any other contact or other information you choose to provide us in connection with our business and to allow us to fully inform you of our products, services and prices.
Should you contact us and not proceed with a consultation in the short term but express an interest in us making contact with you at a later time we will keep the necessary personal data on file to enable us to that.
If you purchase from us we will keep your personal data on file to ensure we can provide you with the follow-up service that is required for hearing aid users.
Disclosure of Your Personal Data to Third Parties
We do not rent or sell your personal data to anyone.
Protection of Blackberry Hearing and Others: We reserve the right to access, read, preserve, and disclose any information as necessary to comply with law or court order; enforce or apply our agreements with you and other agreements; or protect the rights, property, or safety of Blackberry Hearing, our employees, our customers, or others.
Disclosures for National Security or Law Enforcement: Under certain circumstances, we may be required to disclose your personal data in response to valid requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
How We Secure Your Personal Data
We use appropriate technical, organizational and administrative security measures to protect any information we hold in our records from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
For example, on our website:
• We use regular Malware Scanning on our site to confirm it is safe to use
• We use a range of security tools to monitor activity on the site and identify unusual activity.
• Your personal information is only accessible to a limited number of persons who have special access rights to such systems, and are required to keep the information confidential.
• In addition, all information you supply through the website is encrypted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology between your browser and the site.
In terms of local devices, Blackberry Hearing has implemented a range of security measures to protect the information we hold in our records. For example:
• All devices use encryption so data is secure.
• All data is saved to the cloud where it may be wiped or deleted in the event of a theft of a computer or smartphone.
• All our computers are fitted with anti-virus and anti-spam software
• All paper files with personal data will be securely locked away
Unfortunately, no company or service can guarantee complete security. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors may compromise the security of user information at any time. In the unlikely event that such a breach occurs, we will contact you and/or the DPC if we feel that your personal data is compromised.
How Long We Retain Your Personal Data
Personal data is retained for only as long as Blackberry Hearing has a legitimate basis to retain the data.This personal data is used to support our clients with follow up visits, batteries, filters and other accessories. In some cases, it is retained in order to contact clients, and potential clients when requested, with a follow-up telephone call and information. If you are a client we will keep the data for at least the duration of the hearing aids’ warranty, which is 4 years to enable us to provide a full back up service.
• While we have personal data about you, you have certain rights. These include:
· Right to access
• You may request a copy of all personal data held by Blackberry Hearing about you.
· Right to rectify
• You have the right to ask Blackberry Hearing to correct any inaccuracies in the personal data held about you.
· Right to erasure
• You have the right to ask that we erase any personal data we are processing about you. Please note that we may still be allowed to retain and use your information. For example, as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements, and defend or establish a legal claim.
· Right to restrict
• In certain circumstances, you have the right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal data.
· Right to object
• In certain circumstances, you have the right to object to our processing of your personal data.
· Right not to be subjected to automated decision making
• You have the right not to be subjected to automated decision making where the decision has legal or significant effects.
· Right to withdraw consent
• Where we are processing your personal data on the basis of your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. For example, if we are sending you marketing emails, you can withdraw your consent immediately by clicking the UNSUBSCRIBE link in the footer of the email.
· How to exercise your rights
• Please contact us at email@example.com and provide us with as much information as possible to enable us to complete your request.
· Right to complain
• If you believe Blackberry Hearing is breaching your data protection rights, you have the right to complain to the data protection regulator. Blackberry Hearing is established in Ireland and is regulated by Ireland’s Data Protection Commission
Changes to this policy
We reserve the right to change this Policy from time to time in our sole discretion. If we make any changes, we will post those changes here so that you can see what information we gather, how we might use that information and in what circumstances we may disclose it. By continuing to use our site or our services or otherwise provide data after we post any such changes, you accept and agree to this Policy as modified.
Access Request Form
You have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you. We ask that you download, print and complete the attached form, from the link provided below, so we can determine the details of your request and respond to and implement your request as quickly as possible. Thank you.
Questions, comments, requests and complaints regarding this Policy and the information we hold are welcome and should be addressed to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. All requests will be dealt with promptly and efficiently.